jump to navigation

About the union – Join the union

Carphone & TalkTalk Group Worker is a site for members of the Communication Workers Union working at Carphone Warehouse, TalkTalk Group, Best Buy, Geek Squad.

The CWU is a 240,000 strong union for workers in the communications industries, with several hundred members working for the Carphone Warehouse and Talk Talk Group.

More about…

> How you can get involved
> Our campaigns

Join the union

For Carphone Warehouse Group employees, membership costs £6.99 per month for members working over 20 hours, £5.49 for those members working 11 – 20 hours, or £3.59 for members working 10 hours or fewer, payable by direct debit.  There are four ways to join:

1) Download this form (MS Word), or see here for an OpenOffice version, fill it in electronically, and email back to asmith@cwu.org
2) call 0800 731 7434 during ‘office hours’ and join by phone, or call Alan Smith on 07894 461710 if you can’t get through right away.
3) download, print off and post a PDF membership form – download here.
4) Fill in this form to have a paper membership form posted to you, which you can return by post.

Your membership will not be shared with the company. 

You have a legal right to join a union.



1. Stephen - September 21, 2009

Is Carphone Worker a section of the larger CWU group? By joining Carphone Worker, are we in fact members of the larger CWU organisation?


2. tomcwu - September 26, 2009

Hi Stephen,

Carphone Worker is just the name of this website and of the news bulletin we distribute: it isn’t the name of an organisation as such. Carphone Worker is published by the CWU.

You can join CWU, of course, and we’d encourage you to! We are building a self-governing organisation of Carphone Warehouse and TalkTalk members, so in a sense you’d also be joining that, at the same time you join CWU.

Hope that helps?

3. April - May 1, 2010

My 19 year old son has started work at a carphone warehouse shop he has been asked to pay £22 for trousers for work.Is this right or should the company be providing these for him
He works 30 hours a week.Iam encouraging him to join your union for some support.

joseph hillstrom - May 9, 2010

If the company is insisting he has a particular type/colour of trouser then that is a “uniform” which should be supplied by the company – in my opinion. I have worked for Carphone for 5 years and never been told to buy specific trousers or anything else. “Formal Business wear” for men is black pants and a white shirt and maybe a tie.
I would advise your son to ask for this “request” in writing and a reference to the part of contract of employment that specifically states he ( and by definition – everyone else in the company ) has to wear these trousers.
Is he a member? If not – Join and we can then get involved.
Has he looked at the company handbook? Does it state anything about work wear?
Have a look at the company Grievance Procedure. Many people are using this successfully to take on the management. It is backed up in Law via ACAS.

4. lee - June 5, 2010

can you join if you are currently working for tiscali tal talk, as since the buy out there seems to be getting less and less for us workers here.

tomcwu - June 7, 2010


5. Natalie McDonnell - August 12, 2010

Hi, I am on a 15 hour a week contract but work between 4 and 5 dys a week. I have recently been off on sick and they have paid me 79.00 sick pay when agreeing that I would receive full time sick pay. My HR login shows 16 days full day approved sick pay but this does not reflect in my pay slip. What can I do? they are also saying my sick pay starts on the 25th july – 31st when I have sick note from 21st July – 10th August.

alancwu - October 29, 2010

Hi Natalie,

Has this been resolved? If not, the first thing to do is raise it informally with your line manager (preferably via email so you have a record). If it’s not resolved informally then you could consider a grievance – as a member you would be entited to CWU representation in a grievance. If you need to talk to someone from the CWU please use one of the contact numbers detailed on this site.

Alan Smith

6. Dani - November 18, 2010

Hi, i have just found out that i am going to be put through a disciplinary for some photos that i took during work hours. The company (Carphone Warehouse) has stated that this is down to the photos contravening a social networking policy that i was unaware of at the time. My manager did tell me off about the photos two weeks ago, and during this time never mentioned or made any statement about the possibility of this going any further, and as such i was under the impression that this was resolved.
A) Can the union help me out on this, whether through information, or through accompaniment to the disciplinary.
B) Where do i stand on the basis that my manager has breached several of the policies in store,and as far as i can tell, has a personal vendetta against me for some reason.
I can provide more information on request, i just need some help asap please.

alancwu - November 22, 2010

Hi Dani, There might be a company policy on social networking sites – but they need to let you know the policy exists! If you are worried that your manager might be discriminating against you then there are courses of action you can follow – as a member you would get representation in disciplinaries and grievances but you need to be in membership before the issue arises – nevertheless you will still get advice – give me a ring on 07894 461710. Alan Smith CWU

7. funmi - January 19, 2011

please can you advise if retail cpw workers are entitled to a redundancy if a store shuts down.

alancwu - January 20, 2011

Hi, You would qualify for redundancy in the following circumstances (qualification for a redundancy payment is two years service):

* the employer has ceased, or intends to cease, to carry on the business for the purposes of which the employee was so employed
* the employer has ceased, or intends to cease, to carry on the business in the place where the employee was so employed
* the requirements of the business for employees to carry out work of a particular kind has ceased or diminished or are expected to cease or diminish
* the requirements of the business for the employees to carry out work of a particular kind, in the place where they were so employed, has ceased or diminished or are expected to cease or diminish

Point two suggests that you would qualify for redundancy if a store closes – subject to what your contract states about your place of work. So the first question is what does your contract say? Feel free to give me a ring on 07894 461710.

Alan Smith – CWU

8. A.N.Onymous - June 4, 2011

Is their anyway this Union could support the workers in the Waterford site Southern Ireland legislation obviously differs? After all the group continually refers to its UK sites listing Waterford in the mix!!

alancwu - August 2, 2011

Hi – CWU Ireland would be your best point of contact. I’ll get some details for a CWU Ireland Organiser posted up shortly.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: