No fireworks at Wednesbury – luckily… November 10, 2009Posted by tomcwu in News.
Bonfire night almost went with a real bang at Wednesbury Logistics Centre last Thursday.
Members reported that a gas leak from a fork lift truck had involved the fire brigade, and the smell of gas had hung around for some time after the incident causing real safety concerns.
This incident highlights the vital role that CWU Health and Safety reps can play in keeping work safe – and in making sure that safety concerns are communicated to site managers and dealt with.
At an event to celebrate 30 years of Safety Representatives and Safety Committee regulations the health and safety minister, Lord McKenzie said: “There is evidence that workplaces with health and safety committees where some members are selected by trade unions have a significantly lower rate of injuries than those without cooperative health and safety management”.
The CWU wants to help you make Wednesbury a safer place to work – CWU Health and Safety Reps receive full training and support in their role. If you’re interested in making your workplace safer contact your site rep, Kulwnder Plaha (he is available at work in Wednesbury, or through the branch on 0121 230 4157) – or contact us here at Carphone Worker and we’ll give you more details on how you can help protect your colleagues.
Alternatively if you just want to raise your concerns then leave us a message.
By the way, for some of our senior managent readers, the photograph we have used is known as a ‘joke’. No need to send us another angry message!